During tonight's memorial, Dr. William Friday's assistant, 
Virginia Taylor, shared a quote by
 George Bernard Shaw that her boss loved:


(the part of the quote, Virginia Taylor shared is in bold) 

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized
 by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a
 feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining
 that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community,
 and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.
I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work
 the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no “brief 
candle” for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of
 for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible
 before handing it on to future generations.
George Bernard Shaw




State Of Things NC

Talking About Politics

NYT > The Upshot

Guernica / Art & Politics

Carolina Journal

Basketball, Lacrosse, etc.

Reason Magazine

BlueNC

Republic Report

SCOTUSblog

The Page

Politico 10

CommonBlog

Roll Call Special Sections

TED Blog

ProPublica: Articles and Investigations

The Progressive Pulse

Huffington Post

Newser Politics

Politico Playbook

Project Syndicate

Xconomy

Politics Daily

AL JAZEERA ENGLISH (AJE)

White House

Politico Huddle

POLITICO

Episcopal Cafe